Saturday, July 13, 2013

Bike Adventure

I knew what we wanted to do when we got to San Francisco the first couple of days but the rest of the weekend we had less of a plan. I had a thought that riding bikes along the Embarcadero would be fun and was also looking into where to get great views of the Golden Gate Bridge when I came across the idea that we could ride bikes over the bridge to Sausalito. I was convinced that it would be a fun little adventure for us so that was the plan!

We slept in a little (I got up at 6) and grabbed breakfast and headed towards Fisherman's Wharf to get our bikes. We rented electric bikes (AMAZING) from Blazing Saddles and got started!

First of all, there are TONS of people who bike in San Francisco. Tourists and locals and some serious bikers. Plus people walking. But the bike ride along the coast through Fort Mason to Crissy Field was pretty. I loved that we were right there by the water and could see the boats and the bridge. We stopped and walked around the Palace of Fine Arts and rode by the America's Cup Village since it was right along our little path. We went along the Golden Gate Promenade until we got to the last little fishing pier and The Warming Hut. We stopped for a snack and some more pictures before heading down to the very end of the road there, Fort Point.


We had to go up a big hill (pedal assist, please!) to get to the bridge from here. We stopped at the top of the hill at some clearings to get even more pictures of the bridge. It was the perfect day for our bike ride. The first two days the bridge never cleared enough for us to see the top of it but it was all sun Saturday and we got some great shots.





So then it was over the bridge! Bridges freak me out. Like, a lot. So I was a little nervous. But... I LOVE this bridge and I loved riding over it! I am sure anyone who saw me and the big smile on my face as I was riding probably thought I looked silly. We did stop once to get a picture but with all the other bikes moving along there it wasn't easy so we just enjoyed the ride across.


I had read that Hawk Hill had some of the best views of the bridge so I was determined to get there. It was on top of this HUGE hill in the Marin Headlands. But, we went anyways. I had a little trouble since my bike was not in the right gear but once we got everything situated, we made it. It was hard with the electric bike so I can't imagine what it would have been like without it! The views were great from up there. It was definitely one if the two better spots for pictures of the bridge on a clear day. 

We decided it was time to head down, down, down to Sausalito (slowly for me, please!) and we grabbed lunch after the cute little ride along the coast into town. Our original plan was to take a ferry back from Sausalito but we decided that we were feeling great (again, the electric bikes...) and could bike some more. So, to Tiberon we went! This part of our ride went faster since we weren't stopping to take as many pictures.

Tiberon is a cute little town across the bay from Sausalito. We got there in time to grab an ice cream and walk around and then get in line for the ferry ride back to San Francisco.

It was a great trip!! I really enjoyed it. I think it was 22 miles to Tiberon from the bike rental place and I would really suggest the electric bike for anyone who is not a biker or would like a more leisurely ride. I would definitely consider doing it again. It could probably be done in just a couple of hours if you stopped in Sausalito, too. 

We made it back to our hotel after returning our bikes around 6:00 and decided to rest and freshen up before grabbing dinner. Pat Kuleto (owner of our favorite winery) has worked on several restaurants, Kuleto's down the street from our hotel being one of them. We met some family in the area for dinner there so it worked out perfectly. I enjoyed meeting Justin's cousin Paul and his wife Shelley and we ate some really yummy food! It was another fun and fantastic day in San Francisco!

No comments:

Post a Comment