Friday, March 14, 2014

Hair

Nora was born with hair and quite a bit of it. She has always had hair, but it was a little wild at times! Lately, I've been able to start doing her hair in new ways and it's been so fun! I can't believe how long her hair is now... I was looking back at pictures and I feel as if her hair's evolution can be appreciated in a blog post, all it's own...

Nora had a good amount of dark brown hair when she was born. Everyone at the hospital loved it and said she looked like the Gerber baby. When they gave her a bath for the first time, the nurses even did her hair in a little curly-Q just like the Gerber baby on the packaging.

Awwww...

I loved that Nora had so much hair! I put headbands in it all the time and thought it was just the cutest thing EVER!

Baby Nora's dark brown hair.

But... babies sleep on their backs and therefore rub off a bunch of hair on the back and sides. Plus, I think she may have lost a bit of hair in general. So, after a few months of that, we ended up with a little bit of a toupee-like hair do - long on top, barely there on the sides, and bald in back! Her hair was also starting to get a little bit lighter than it was when she was born.

Nora, around 4 months old.

Well, around then she also started to roll over and not sleep on her back as much so the hair rubbing stopped, but the damage was already done. She was cute nonetheless and we just embraced the strange hair-do. She eventually started growing her hair back in the bald spots.

Nora's 6 month photo!

But the hair evolution continued. The mop top kept on growing and became curly! 

Nora is frustrated.

See the back of her baldie head?

And the top. And look... baby Janie!

I thought about cutting it so many times!! But just didn't. Or couldn't. Doesn't matter.

Top curls.

See that hair hanging down???

It really reached it's peak when Nora was 9-10 months old. It would look like ringlets on top and just plain crazy! Plus, she wouldn't let me put headbands in any more! She figured out how to yank them out. Every time. So we just went with crazy.

4th of July - 10 months old

What a chunk!

It must have been humid...



I have LOTS more of where those came from! 



So finally I could start to put a little ponytail in without it looking like I'd shaved the sides of her head around when she was around one year old, maybe a little after. And she turned out to be a bit of a blondie!


Now, we have to get that hair up and out of her face every day! Luckily she has gotten used to me doing it and will usually sit through one or two ponytails. She will even keep a little bow in (for the most part). No headbands yet, though!


I've even managed to get one large ponytail in her hair! It doesn't stay well but it is exciting (for mommy at least)!



And you don't want to know what happens if we don't do her hair. Or worse - if it comes out! Or do you...?



And then there's always Auntie K's hair we can borrow when we need to...


I still haven't cut her hair. Not sure when I will! And since Janie is a bit of a baldie I don't think we will be visiting the salon for either of the girls for a while. So until then, we will watch and wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment