Tuesday, January 28, 2014

New Normal

I'm not sure if it is possible at this point in time, but we are really trying to find a sense of normalcy again after the arrival of Janie. And by normal I really mean sleeping and bathing. And maybe getting dressed. And eating. I really am not asking for much!!

Though, let's be honest... How normal can we possibly be if our bath tub looks like this...

There are 12 toys, if you're counting.

And if your grocery list consists of this...

Don't we all need that???

I know everyone tells you that "each baby is different" and "they do things on their own time" and really it is the truth! I thought that I would have so much knowledge to resource from having Nora not too long ago to help me through much of the pregnancy, labor & delivery, and bringing home a newborn. Don't get me wrong... all that information definitely helped me and prepared me, but it just wasn't the same. So much about Janie is different from Nora. Nora was a great baby and Janie is too, but the challenges that we encountered with Nora were just different than the ones that we've had with Janie.

Three weeks.

That is one thing that was the same. There is definitely still more that will change and more challenges to come, but it AGAIN took about three weeks for us to figure it all out and feel like we adjusted to our new life styles. I remember feeling like it took three weeks for my body to feel normal, for breastfeeding to finally be "okay" and for Nora to start to adjust to "real" life outside of the womb. And although having Janie has brought on entirely new challenges in many different ways, I feel that three weeks was that magic time yet again. We are at the four week mark now so I am hoping to focus on finding our "new normal" as a family of four.

Janie Elizabeth, three weeks old



A little preview into our lives:

Janie has been eating every three hours during the day. She was eating every four hours around two weeks, but as my body has figured her out and she has figured out mine, along with adjusting to day & night, she moved back to three hours. I'm working this week on getting her on a predictable schedule - eat, play/activity, sleep, repeat.

2 1/2 weeks old

As night time approaches, she will sleep a little more soundly and go a little longer between her feedings. By a little longer, I mean an hour or an hour and half longer. MAYBE two. Doesn't sound like much (and I wish it were longer) but it does make a difference when we are trying to sleep.

And by we I mean me, because at this point I am really the only person getting up in the middle of the night.

We decided to transition Janie to her room last night in hopes that we will all get better sleep. Did you know how much noise babies make while they are sleeping!!??!! Well, it's a lot. Especially in the half hour to hour before they actually get up. Which means, one less half hour or hour for mommy. And that's a big deal. It didn't go quite as well as I planned being that I was still up every 4 hours with her, but it wasn't too bad I guess.

Justin has been getting up with Nora in the mornings since I am usually sleeping between feedings, nursing Janie, or taking care of Janie if she is awake. It has been working out well, but I will eventually need to figure out how to schedule them both to get ready before getting myself to work. It would be FANTASTIC if Justin could be working from home or in Dallas while we figure out a good routine, but we'll see!

Sweet little Nora

Nora continues to go to "school" on weekdays. She really likes it and learns a lot! She can sign "boat" and "plane" now. She can blow her nose on her own. And this just in - I taught her how to smile. Love her!

Nora "smiling" with Pops.

Yesterday I am made some attempts to put Janie down for naps in her own room and in her crib. This was quite successful (hence the blog post). I am VERY excited about this!  Now if we could be this successful at night...

Sleeping! Yay!

That's mostly it! I can't believe Janie will be a month old on Friday. It feels like not long ago that we brought her home from the hospital! Pray for good sleep for us...

Janie, four weeks old

An almost-smile

No comments:

Post a Comment