Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Vancouver {Day Two}

It was a little bit of a juggling act to return both of the bikes AND pick up a rental car at the correct times, but we had a car lined up for our second day in Vancouver so that we could get out of the city and see some surrounding parks and scenery.

We headed out to Lynn Canyon Park for our first stop of the morning. There are two suspension bridges in the Vancouver area, the Capilano Bridge and the one at Lynn Canyon. I have not ever been to Capilano and I have heard that it is pretty awesome, but it costs a pretty penny to get into the park and Lynn Canyon is FREE, so we opted to go there. The first thing you do is cross over the bridge to the other side of the canyon. It was fun and not too scary and I am typically afraid of heights. I have to say that riding the Seattle Wheel freaked me out more than crossing the bridge. I did not, however, linger and look down.



We hiked around a bit and ended up doing a LOT of stair climbing. I mean, I thought the waterfalls in Seattle were a pain... this was worse. I'm sure I complained more than enough. But we did see the bottom of the canyon and Justin got to get down to the water's edge, where he likes to be. It was pretty and it was cool and it was pretty quiet on the trails where we went, even though it really only took us an hour to get around the trails, not including stops.



We made it back up to the top of the canyon to our car and headed towards our next stop, Deep Cove. We had plans to kayak and I was looking forward to it and hoping the waters were calmer than in Seattle. We grabbed lunch before we went to the rental place, which was a mistake because they had at least an hour wait for a boat. If you ever go, get your name on the list first. Lunch was good though! And then we ended up heading right back to the little downtown area to try out Honey's Doughnuts. Um. GO THERE. They serve lunch, too, but we just had doughnuts and coffee and I wish I had taken about six of them with me. They were literally the best doughnuts I've ever had.


Okay, so kayaking. We got a double kayak, which was fun, probably because I let Justin do more of the rowing. He didn't complain. But the special part of this little excursion was that we got to experience seeing the harbour seals for the first time! We had no idea they were in the water and that there were so many of them until our whale watching trip the next day. We had fun trying to spot them and I so wish I had my camera on me, because we saw many of them pretty close to our kayak. We did around 2 hours on the kayak and then headed back to our car. 



We decided to head up to Grouse mountain instead of back to the hotel since we didn't have to return the car by a certain time. We took the drive up Capilano road and passed the other suspension bridge park, as well as the dam and lake, which we decided to come back to. It looked gorgeous. We took the gondola up to the top of the mountain, took in the views, saw the bears that live up there, and had a snack at the chalet. We did find some Wifi to talk to the girls on up at the top of the mountain, which was fun.


I mean, I would never.


Bear!

We stopped at the dam on the way back down, which was very pretty and the mountains in the back were a nice view. We made our way back to Vancouver where we returned the car and then walked towards our hotel. 




After freshening up, we grabbed a late dinner at one of the little places across the street. We chose JAPADOG, which serves Japanese-style hot dogs. They were good! It seemed like a strange concept though, I admit. I think I may wish I had one right now... Unfortunately, the cream puff place closed before we got there, but I had my eye on them for later this trip! 


The Terimayo: a hot dog, seaweed, mayo, teriyaki

A fun day in Vancouver!

No comments:

Post a Comment