Sunday, October 14, 2012

Ford Returns

Anyone who knows us knows that we really love our little dog. Ford has been our baby for six years this October. Now, you can imagine how we felt hearing that our little guy has cancer on the day that our baby was due in September...

It's a long story, but the short version is that Ford is doing very well now and we are hoping that the cancer is gone and never comes back! 

Needless to say, we needed help taking care of his needs while we delivered a baby at the hospital, adjusted our lives at home to a newborn, and let mommy heal. Having a dog is one thing, but dealing with doctor visits, surgeries, medicines, stitches, plus food, water, and bathroom breaks AND having a newborn... pretty impossible. So a huge 

thank you

to Justin's mom for stepping in there.

Ford had his stitches out from his final surgery and came home about two weeks ago. I assumed that Ford wouldn't be much of a problem with a new baby since he is such a sweet and docile little fella. I figured that the biggest problems would be 

a) not enough attention from mommy and

b) licking the baby in the face.

Well, I was right. But I have to say that both of the "problems" are pretty much nonexistent! At first, Ford was a little mopey. I think this was partly because of the adjustment to coming back home after being away so long and partly because my attention was devoted to Nora (and a LOT of my attention was devoted to her, especially then). Since the second or third day he's been home, he has been GREAT. 

Ford always comes with me in the middle of the night to nurse Nora and he likes to lay under her crib & changing table whenever we are in there. I think it's more about being with me than with her, but I'll go with it! He has learned that her toys are not his (for the most part) and even the licking has only happened a couple of times, and usually when she is or has been crying hard. I think he's trying to "make it better"... again, I'm going with that.

Every now and then I catch him getting a little curious... 

"Look what I found!" 

"What is it anyway?" 

"I'm not so sure about this..."

Or at least I think that's what was going through his head! 

We are looking forward to Nora growing up with our sweet little Ford!

No comments:

Post a Comment