Monday, July 20, 2015

Make It Monday: Wind Chime

This week, I thought we might try making a toddler wind chime to hang outside. I got the idea from this post on Pinterest {link here} and had a lot of the materials on hand, so I thought we would give it a try.

To make a little wind chime we gathered up the following supplies:

Various beads
A cup 
Scissors
Small jingle bells
String or thread



We got everything we needed together. I had some different kinds of pony beads at the house already, pre-cut straw "beads", small red jingle bells from a Christmas past, a pink plastic cup, and some pink ribbon. I did end up taping the ends of the ribbon up so that Nora could get the beads on, but I do not suggest using ribbon. I figured I would just use something I already had, but as it turns out string would have been way easier to work with. Also, I would strongly recommend using a paper cup over plastic, but it is all that I had on hand.

First, we cut the ribbon & made some holes. I had six jingle bells but then we lost one so we made five holes at the bottom (rim) of the cup & tied the ribbon to it. We also attached a handle at the top, which was the base of the cup. Keep in mind that the cup will be hanging upside down when finished.

After attaching all the strings, I let Nora put beads on to her heart's content. As it turns out, that wasn't very many. But even so, once she finished putting beads on one of the ribbons, we attached a jingle bell to the very bottom.




The idea would have been to do all five strings, but Nora just wasn't as interested in this wind chime as I would have hoped. Being that my materials were not the best either, I went ahead and left this project for another time. I still think that it would make a fun and easy project for a toddler who is a bit older than Nora!

No comments:

Post a Comment