Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Tasty Tuesday: Fruit Popsicles

Over fourth of July weekend I was looking for something to do with the girls and we had some extra cherries on hand that were going to go bad if not used, so we made some cherry vanilla yogurt popsicles that ended up being a HUGE hit with the girls. Naturally, today when I told Nora that we were going to make some popsicles she was thrilled.

That face right there: thrilled.

I had purchased some cheap little plastic popsicle molds from a craft store (what did I tell you!!!!) one year and we hadn't yet used them until this month. This is an absolute shame. These little popsicle molds are going to pay out big time. The girls think that popsicles are such a fantastic little treat - "just like ice cream" I tell them - yet when you make them yourself you can control what goes into them and make them totally healthy yet still delicious.

Hear me say this: I am NOT against the store-bought, sugar loaded, creamy awesome and most probably including some kind of chocolate frozen bits of goodness that are popsicles. I do however love that I can convince my children that what we make at home is the same thing. And really, the ones that you can make at home are quite tasty so I don't feel like they're missing out!

Today's popsicle recipe is a very summer-y one made with three ingredients: oranges, bananas, and pineapple. No dairy, no ice, no added sweetener, not even honey. EASY! We used {this recipe}. So to get started, we got out our three ingredients and tools:


Popsicle molds
Blender
Oranges {2}
Bananas {3}
Pineapple {we used one drained 20 oz. can, but you can use 2 C. fresh, too}

Then, you need to find cute helpers who may or may not help you peel your oranges and bananas.


Essentially, you throw everything into the blender and pulse until it's good and smooth! I did chunk up the bananas. And make sure you drain the pineapple or it will be too watered down.



Janie isn't too keen on the blender noise.

Pour into your popsicle molds, finish them off, and stick into the freezer until they're solid! Ours are going to sit overnight but I'm sure they only need a few hours before they're good to go.

Note the large selection of play dishes on the table behind her! 


Ready to go!

Now, I'm not sure if it's my craft store popsicle molds or what, but so far we always have extra popsicle mix. The good news is that it doubles as a smoothie, which both girls sucked down pretty quick. That tells me that these popsicles are going to be delicious!



Hooray for healthy, tasty, toddler approved treats!


No comments:

Post a Comment